Check out FEDERAL BUREAUCRACY videos below. When you are finished complete the guides that follow. Enter your comments and questions as you go.
The Transformers: Putting Federal Policy into Action.
Our Bureaucracy Autobots or Decepticons?
Complete by visiting citizenu.org or the You Tube channel MyCitizenU
View 1. Intro-Federal Bureaucracy
1. When government is asked to do something somebody has to do it. Who is that somebody?
2. List at least two (2) things we expect our government to do.
3. What branch of government empowers the Federal Bureaucracy by giving it duties and providing its budget?
4. What branch of government makes up the Federal Bureaucracy?
5. THINKING ABOUT IT. Why do you suppose written policies and execution of those policies often differ?
View 2. Intro-Federal Bureaucracy an Explanation
1. Describe the makeup of the Federal Bureaucracy. What are its basic characteristics?
2. List the three most prominent Cabinet Departments. Why are these so important?
3. Explain what is meant by Independent Agencies of the Federal Government. List two (2) examples.
4. The Federal government also runs certain corporations. Name one.
5. THINKING ABOUT IT. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being hierarchically organized?
View 3. Intro-Federal Bureaucracy: Specialized Experts
1. List examples of how our Federal Bureaucracy is made up of specialists.
2. Why are inefficiency and mismanagement a constant concern for the Federal Bureaucracy?
3. Who was Max Weber and what metaphor did he use to describe bureaucracies?
4. What characteristics over time have challenged bureaucracies from optimal performance?
5. THINKING ABOUT IT. What prevents the Federal Government from attracting the very best and brightest?
View 4. Intro-Federal Bureaucracy: Checking Their Work
1. Explain the general opinion most Americans have of the Federal bureaucracy.
2. How has the Executive Branch attempted to check and balance the Federal Bureaucracy?
3. How has the Legislative Branch attempted to check and balance the Federal Bureaucracy?
4. How has the Judicial Branch attempted to check and balance the Federal Bureaucracy?
5. THINKING ABOUT IT. Could we live without the Federal Bureaucracy? Why not outsource government services to those who perform those duties in the private sector?